Burncoose was originally purchased by the Williams family and the original house built in 1715. It has remained in the Williams family ownership ever since and was, from 1750-1850, the centre of the family’s tin mining businesses. The house was last renovated in 1964 but today needs extensive rewiring, reroofing and the introduction of more modern heating systems and bathrooms. The Victorian conservatory is being rebuilt in exactly the original design but it will become an integral part of the house rather than being a plant house providing propagation material for Burncoose Nurseries. The exterior of the property will remain largely unchanged after renovation which is expected to take eight months and has full Listed Building Consent.
KPK are instructed in the repair and refurbishment of Burncoose House, a Grade II Listed 18th and early 19th Century Georgian Manor House. The work comprises repair of all elements of the external building fabric and refurbishment and re-ordering of the interior to bring it up to provide for modern domestic requirements.
The work includes extensive external repairs to the roof structure, replacement of the roof slating to match, the re-instatement of lead flat roof covering replacing built-up felt overcovering, the re-instatement of a roof light to provide natural light to the main staircase and the reconstruction of the Conservatory to the west of the house to match the existing precisely.
External repairs include the detailed repair of existing windows, re-instating existing glass and detailing, the reinstatement of shutters and window detailing where lost, the removal of mid-20th Century amended window and door openings and re-instatement to match the likely original provision.
Internally, the layout is to be retained, the original well considered proportion of rooms retained. Some internal joinery detailing has been lost and joinery and plasterwork is to be reinstated. Alterations in secondary areas of the building are planned to provide bathrooms to service each of the 8 bedrooms.
The rear service area and back Entrance Hall are to be reconstructed to provide a covered courtyard enclosing the new oil tank and log storage and dog kennels.
The service provision is being upgraded to modern standards.
The internal finishes and fittings are to be reinstated and restored so that they are consistent with the original building.
The work started in October 2014 and is due for completion in the Spring. The work requires careful attention to detail and input from specialist trades who are experienced in carrying out like-for-like repairs to Listed buildings.